For many college students, summer is not a time for rest and relaxation but a time busy with summer classes, work, and internships. Summer semester is often more compact which means more work in a shorter amount of time. While it is important to continue learning during the summer months, it is also important to take time for leisure activities and relaxation to avoid being burnt out when fall semester arrives.
If you, like many college students, are on a limited budget, there are many free and low-cost activities available to you both within and outside of GPC. There are many activities not far, and possibly on your GPC campus that will allow you to exhale and take a break from the fast pace of summer classes. Here are a few upcoming events at GPC:
- Student Life
- June 16th- Summer Lu-Out! 1 p.m., CA Fountain Quad, Clarkston Campus. GPC students can enjoy free food and giveaways and learn about campus student life.
- June 22- Board Games and Sweets. 12-2pm. Decatur Campus SC 2100. Sponsored by the Office of Student Life.
- Fine Arts
- July 9th- GPC Wind Ensemble Concert with Slava Michael Prudchenko, conductor. 8 p.m. Cole Auditorium, Fine Arts Building, Clarkston Campus.
- July 13th- GPC Jazz Ensemble Concert 8 p.m. Cole Auditorium, Fine Arts Building. FREE
- Health, Wellness & Recreation
- Month of June – Cardio aerobic exercise utilizing elevated platform (the Step). SC1100 – Decatur Gym / 1:00pm – 2:00pm, Mondays
- Month of June- Water Aerobics- Shallow water workout. Equipment provided. SC0250 – Decatur Pool / 5:30pm – 6:30pm, Tuesdays
If you are ready to venture a bit farther away from campus, check out some of these activities happening around town, many of which are free.
- The Martin Luther King Jr. Historic Site and the Sweet Auburn District. Take a free guided tour of Dr. King’s birth home, visit the King Center for Social and Nonviolent Change and discover Atlanta’s civil rights history in the Sweet Auburn neighborhood. Ongoing.
- Music at Centennial Olympic Park- Wednesday Wind Down – Experience Wednesday Wind Down each Wednesday evening from 5:30 to 8 p.m., May through September, with performances varying from jazz to reggae. Music at Noon – Every Tuesday and Thursday from noon to 1 p.m., May through October, enjoy Music at Noon, which features a variety of live music including R&B, jazz, and reggae. Make a lunch date with Music at Noon as relaxing tunes float over the city. Be sure to take a quick dash through the Fountain of Rings!
- Arabia Mountain National Heritage Center – Located in Lithonia, Arabia Mountain offers opportunities for hiking and discovering rare plant species native to Georgia. During the month of June come for Summer Celebration where you can enjoy free bicycle rental days, outdoor movies, family-friendly bike tours and even folktales around a campfire.
If you prefer the peace and quiet of your home, you can still find entertainment by using our resources found in your friendly, neighborhood GPC library. Stop by and check out a few blockbuster movies or thought provoking documentaries. Lose yourself in a good book of fiction or fantasy; indulge your creative side by learning a new craft or growing a container garden by searching the GIL catalog for the perfect books. We have so much for you to choose from that will allow you to take a break from your hectic schedule.
Know of other happenings around GPC or other free events around metro Atlanta this summer? Have a summer reading recommendation? Let everyone else know about it by leaving a comment!
Dawn L. Wright Williams
Part-Time Reference Librarian, Decatur Campus